(NYSE:FXCM) today announced certain key operating metrics for January 2015 for its retail and institutional foreign exchange business.
January 2015 Retail Trading Metrics
- Retail customer trading volume(1)* of $450 billion in January 2015, 3% higher than December 2014 and 32% higher than January 2014.
- Average retail customer trading volume(1)* per day of $21.4 billion in January 2015, 2% higher than December 2014 and 38% higher than January 2014.
- An average of 662,080 retail client trades per day in January 2015, 11% higher than December 2014 and 61% higher than January 2014.
- Tradeable accounts(2) of 223,079 as of January 31, 2015, a decrease of 7,500, or 3% from December 31, 2014, and an increase of 33,469 or 18%, from January, 2014.
January 2015 Institutional Trading Metrics
- Institutional customer trading volume(1) of $255 billion in January 2015, 21% lower than December 2014 and 39% higher than January 2014.
- Average institutional trading volume(1) per day of $12.1 billion in January 2015, 21% lower than December 2014 and 44% higher than January 2014.
- An average of 35,734 institutional client trades per day in January 2015, 19% lower than December 2014 and 6% lower than January 2014.
"While it was a challenging month for FXCM due to the unprecedented movement of the Swiss Franc on January 15th and the resulting negative balances of a number of our clients, we were able to generate our second best month ever on the retail side and FXCM is back in a solid competitive position with approximately $1 billion in client equity and over 223,000 accounts worldwide," said Drew Niv, President and CEO of FXCM. "For the first week of February, we are now receiving net inflows of client funds."
"Our institutional business was affected somewhat in the month by the events of the 15th as a number of our institutional customers' prime brokers initially disconnected from FXCM. However, I am pleased to say that all but one of the numerous prime brokers used by our institutional clients are back with FXCM and we remain optimistic that this business is on course to return to the growth it was experiencing before the events of the 15th."
More information, including historical results for each of the above metrics, can be found on the investor relations page of the Company's corporate web site, www.fxcm.com.
This operating data is preliminary and subject to revision and should not be taken as an indication of the financial performance of FXCM Inc. FXCM undertakes no obligation to publicly update or review previously reported operating data. Any updates to previously reported operating data will be reflected in the historical operating data that can be found on the Investor Relations page of the Company's corporate web site, www.fxcm.com.
(1) Volume that FXCM customers traded in period translated into US dollars.
(2) An account that has sufficient funds to place a trade in accordance with FXCM trading policies.
* Volume generated by retail clients with negative balances due to the SNB announcement on January 15th, 2015 is excluded from volume.